Long Range Forecast: 'Finding Nemo 3D', 'Resident Evil: Retribution', & 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'
Featured Stories - on July 21, 2012 by BOXOFFICE Staff
This week, we've added two new films to our Long Range Forecast: Finding Nemo 3D and Resident Evil: Retribution. Both films are currently scheduled to open on Friday, September 14.
Finding Nemo 3D
- The film was extremely well-received during its initial release in 2003 and is regarded as a modern day family classic.
- The marketplace for family films will be empty at the time of its release.
- The Lion King found great success with its 3D re-release this time last year, and Nemo might be better compared with it than other recent re-releases in terms of how popular it is with today's family audiences.
- Only two weeks separate it from the release of Sony's Hotel Transylvania, which could lead to front-loading unless it takes off the way The Lion King 3D did last year.
- Audiences appeared to be suffering from 3D re-issue fatigue earlier in the year with Star Wars: Episode I and Titanic, though that may be a distant memory come September.
Resident Evil: Retribution
- Thanks in part to the addition of 3D, 2010's Resident Evil: Afterlife was the highest grossing film of the franchise.
- The franchise has been a very consistent performer over the years and could continue to follow a similar trajectory as the Underworld series.
- As the fifth film of the franchise, could this be one film too many?
- The franchise has always been very front-loaded towards opening weekend.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include The Watch and Step Up: Revolution.
Check out our predictions for these and other films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Finding Nemo 3D||Sep 14, 2012||Disney
|Resident Evil: Retribution||Sep 14, 2012||Sony / Screen Gems
|The Words||Sep 7, 2012||CBS Films
|The Possession||Aug 31, 2012||Lionsgate
|Lawless||Aug 29, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Hit And Run||Aug 24, 2012||Open Road
|Premium Rush||Aug 24, 2012||Sony / Columbia
|The Apparition||Aug 24, 2012||Warner Bros.
|ParaNorman||Aug 17, 2012||Focus
|Sparkle (2012)||Aug 17, 2012||Sony / TriStar
|The Expendables 2||Aug 17, 2012||Lionsgate
|The Odd Life of Timothy Green||Aug 15, 2012||Disney
|The Bourne Legacy||Aug 10, 2012||Universal
|Hope Springs (2012)
||Aug 10, 2012||Sony / Columbia
|The Campaign||Aug 10, 2012||Warner Bros.
|Total Recall (2012)||Aug 3, 2012||Sony / Columbia
|Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days||Aug 3, 2012||Fox
|Step Up Revolution||Jul 27, 2012||Lionsgate / Summit
|The Watch||Jul 27, 2012||20th Century Fox
† = 4-day weekend (Friday through Monday)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill and Shawn Robbins contributed to this article.